• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

About VS 2013

Started by Patrice Terrier, November 14, 2013, 06:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrice Terrier

I just order my copy of Visual Studio Professional 2013.

I would like to know if there is something special i should care about when moving from VS2010 ?

And what to think of Blend, could it be used to design legacy applications that are not targeted to Window Store?
Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Theo Gottwald

There is a Test in the actual german ct' Magazin on it.
They say that in general there is no large difference.

James C. Fuller

The one item I know about but which I'm sure does not concern you is no XP support. It was dropped in Visual Studio 2012.
While I guess there are ways to do it ???

James

Jim Dunn

(I know there are still people supporting DOS apps, but I dropped XP support a long time ago...)

Edwin Knoppert

this version requires you to install MSIE10
MSIE10 requires a lot of windows updates.

Obvious for many but less obvious for me :)
Took me several hours to do this all :)

Patrice Terrier

I did try to install the English package on my Windows 7 computer (the same one i am using with VS2010), but it failed miserabily   :(

Thus i am downloading now the French version, on my ASUS Windows 8.1 with touch screen, where i never installed any Visual Studio, let's see if i can get it to work without errors...

>:( >:( >:(

Added:
By the way, there is no upgrade policy between VS2010 and VS2013, had to buy the full licence again € 639 (TTC).
I never understood why we have to pay 30% more in Europe than in the US, that is a legal robbery of all US company over European consumers (same problem with ADOBE)  ???
1 € = $ 1.34
Visual Studio 2013 Professional US $ 499, becomes € 555 (without VAT) this means $ 743
Delta 743 - 499 = $244
this means European must have to pay 48% more, why  ::)
I wonder what are the prices in China or India  ???
Patrice Terrier

Patrice Terrier

Compiling VS2010 code, using the same settings with VS2013, then the resulting file size increase by 25%.

For example a 107 Kb 64-bit EXE, becomes a {bloated} 133 Kb EXE :)

Patrice Terrier

James C. Fuller

Quote from: Patrice Terrier on November 15, 2013, 07:14:05 PM
Compiling VS2010 code, using the same settings with VS2013, then the resulting file size increase by 25%.

You're linking with /MT so I assume some of the new Win 8 library code needs to be linked in. ??

James

Edwin Knoppert

Quote from: Patrice Terrier on November 15, 2013, 07:14:05 PM

That's why you pay more.. :)

Mike Stefanik

Quote from: James C. Fuller on November 14, 2013, 07:19:41 PM
The one item I know about but which I'm sure does not concern you is no XP support. It was dropped in Visual Studio 2012.
While I guess there are ways to do it ???

You just need to specify an alternate toolset for the project (v110_xp for VS2012 or v120_xp for VS2013) and that will allow you continue to target Windows XP SP3. What they don't support is installing current versions of Visual Studio on XP, but I doubt that's an issue for anyone these days. While XP may not be dead yet, it's starting to twitch a bit. ;)

Edit: Patrice, you might want to look into just buying an MSDN subscription rather than paying for each version of Visual Studio as its released. It also gives you access to various Windows platforms to test on, as well as older archived compilers and other tools.
Mike Stefanik
sockettools.com

James C. Fuller

Mike,
  Are the alternate toolsets included with Visual Studio 2013?
The article (on Visual Studio 2012) I read had a long drawn out procedure involving downloading a DDK ??

James

Mike Stefanik

Quote from: James C. Fuller on November 16, 2013, 11:04:09 AM
Are the alternate toolsets included with Visual Studio 2013?
The article (on Visual Studio 2012) I read had a long drawn out procedure involving downloading a DDK ??

They are, at least with the Professional/Premium editions, I'm not sure about Express. Nothing extra downloaded after the install, aside from updates.
Mike Stefanik
sockettools.com

Mike Stefanik

Quote from: Patrice Terrier on November 14, 2013, 06:16:44 PM
I would like to know if there is something special i should care about when moving from VS2010 ?

Also, I forgot to mention that there's no need for you to uninstall Visual Studio 2010. If you leave it installed, VS2012/2013 will recognize it and allow you to use its toolset in your projects, if you want. The project formats are forwards compatible from VS2010 forward, so there's no more project conversion and you can build older projects within the newer versions of the IDE.

TL;DR: Leave VS2010 installed on your system.
Mike Stefanik
sockettools.com

Patrice Terrier

Mike

I haven't installed VS2010, and i will keep using it to produce smaller DLL(s).

I plan to use 2013 mainly with the new gesture API and touch screen displays.

Using it so far to build a new HUD demo, like what you can see in Avatar, Oblivion or Iron man movies.
Patrice Terrier

James C. Fuller

You just need to specify an alternate toolset for the project (v110_xp for VS2012 or v120_xp for VS2013) and that will allow you continue to target Windows XP SP3

Mike,
  If you use the _xp toolset setting do you still have the full C++11 constructs you have with Visual Studio 2013?

James