• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

linkres2exe issues

Started by James C. Fuller, May 20, 2018, 04:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James C. Fuller

Charles,
  I am having a major issue using linkres2exe. I get "EndUpdateResource failed..." .O2 is the only compiler now where I use it.
I have not done a whole lot of coding these past weeks and during that time all my Window 10 boxes have been updated to the spring update. I do not have an old one I can test on so .....??
I went back and tried older versions of O2 but that does not appear to be the problem.

James

James C. Fuller

I think I fixed it.
I recompiled as a 64bit app using PellesC.
Recompiling as a 32bit app did not fix the issue.
James

James C. Fuller

FYI this is where I got the source.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tinycc-devel/2006-10/msg00018.html
Look for the zip near the bottom of the page.

James

Mike Lobanovsky

Looks somewhat outdated: resource ID RT_MANIFEST seems to be missing (24 dec, 0x18 hex). I'd also add a call to the MapFileAndCheckSum() API to keep the executable's PE header checksum in sync with the actual file metrics. This might help prevent some silly AV false positives.
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 w/ 16GB RAM, 2 x GTX 650Ti w/ 2GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Charles Pegge

I would like to have a go at porting Res2Exe. Then it could be used as an independent tool or be integrated into OxIde. It should be useable as a JIT program.

Charles Pegge

My proposed code for embedded use.

RES files have a very simple layout:

header : data : dword-aligned-header : data : dword-aligned-header : data : ...

uses corewin

'https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms648027(v=vs.85).aspx

type RESOURCEHEADER
  dword DataSize
  dword HeaderSize
  dword TYPE
  dword NAME
  dword DataVersion
  word  MemoryFlags
  word  LanguageId
  dword Version
  dword Characteristics
end type

declare MapFileAndCheckSum lib "Imagehlp.dll"

function AddResToFile(char *ResFile, char *TgtFile) as int
==========================================================
  RESOURCEHEADER *rh
  string Res
  sys hFile,pRes,pData
  int LenRes,i
  '
  hFile=BeginUpdateResource(TgtFile,1)
  if not hFile then return 1
  Res=GetFile ResFile
  if not Res then return 2
  LenRes=len Res
  pRes=strptr Res
  do
    @rh=pRes+i
    pData=@rh+sizeof rh
    if rh.DataSize
      if not UpdateResource(
        hFile,rh.ResType>>16,rh.ResName>>16, 'hiwords
        rh.LangId,pData,rh.DataSize)
        return 3
      end if
    end if
    int a=(rh.DataSize+3) and 0xFFFFFFFC 'ALIGN UP DWORD
    i+=sizeof(rh)+a
    if i>=LenRes then exit do
  loop
  if not EndUpdateResource(hFile,0) then return 4
  '
  'https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms680355(v=vs.85).aspx
  dword er,HeaderSum, CheckSum
  er=MapFileAndCheckSum(TgtFile, @HeaderSum, @CheckSum)
  if er then return 5
end function

Mike Lobanovsky

No no, Charles.

It is not the .RES file but the resultant new .EXE or .DLL file that needs its PE header checksum to be updated after its contents have been changed by a resource update.

Dixit MSDN:
QuoteIt is recommended that all images have valid checksums. It is the caller's responsibility to place the newly computed checksum into the mapped image and update the on-disk image of the file. (ML: bolding is mine)
For kernel-mode drivers and system libraries, it is not just a recommendation but a requirement. Yet many AV's regard incorrect or missing header checksums (as well as file creation/modification time stamps) in ordinary executable files as a possible indication of low-quality malware residing in such misshaped file disk images.

The checksum value computed via the MapFileAndCheckSum call should be re-written, upon file modification/update, into the CheckSum field of "optional header" section in the modified file disk image's PE header. Note that contrary to its name, the so-called optional header is mandatory in the on-disk image of an executable file.
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 w/ 16GB RAM, 2 x GTX 650Ti w/ 2GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Charles Pegge

Thanks, Mike.

It should have been TgtFile instead of ResFile

I have corrected the offending line.

er=MapFileAndCheckSum(TgtFile, @HeaderSum, @CheckSum)

Does TouchFileTimes change the PE timestamp itself, or just the file attributes. MSDN is not clear.

James C. Fuller

Charles,
  Do I detect a #RESOURCE statement in the near future?

James