• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

The transition experience...

Started by Pierre Bellisle, February 02, 2018, 02:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pierre Bellisle

So!

Beaucoup d'eau a coulée sous les ponts Patrice...

How would you describe this pb to C++ transition, the hardest to do, do you miss something from the basic language, etc...

I did install MS C++ and try to get the spirit. I will read those c2pb posts of yours.

Patrice Terrier

Pierre

For me as a low level SDK coder, that was not that hard, the core API being the same whatever the language used.

The hardest thing was to switch from the PB string engine, to native unicode t-char WCHAR.
There is a complete string engine in C++; but i prefer to use procedural code rather than OOP classes.
Along the years i wrote my own set of include files that i am now using with all my projects.
C++ performing dead code removal automatically

If you want to move on, i can help you with my own set of utilities and source code examples, that i did post on my private forum here :
www.objreader.com

And because i am mainly using the procedural coding style, you should easily learn from my examples ;)
I am even using a code structure that respects the same {if / end if} indentation than in PB.

One important thing to consider with C++, is that you can always use the latest API as soon as they become available.
The VS 2017 IntelliSense code editor, is years ahead of everyting ever written for PB, and i am not speaking of the ease to switch between 32 or 64-bit.

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Pierre Bellisle

Ouaip,

I certainly want to be able to use this MS C++ beast,
mainly for the pleasure of learning and, also, there is a myriad of other sub reasons.

You might see me on ObjReader forum...

Thank a lot for the info, it give a more precise idea of what's in front of me. :-)

Pierre

Pierre Bellisle

About good address pointers for a young neophyte,

I like http://www.cplusplus.com/ a lot

Does anybody have some others in mind?

Thanks

James C. Fuller

Pierre Bellisle

Thank James,
I will visit pretty soon. :-)

Over and out...