• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

Where have you gone 'post' PB

Started by Donald Montaine, January 09, 2016, 06:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Montaine

Realize that not everyone is 'post', and this question would not be appropriate on the PB forum, so here we are.

I used PB mostly for quick utility programs to solve one-off problems.  My main programming languages at work was  Revelation Basic in the early days of PCs and later the various flavors of Pick Basic  on Unix mainframes, or Clarion programs on PC networks.  Clarion went through a difficult period so I switched to Windev for my PC programming.  Over the last few years I have been weaning myself off of my PB habit and doing almost everything in Windev.  I use Pure Basic when I need a DLL.  I am now looking for a console product for those times when I don't want to be bothered with a GUI front end.   I have been considering Free Basic, but haven't really gotten into it yet.

Paul Squires

Paul Squires
FireFly Visual Designer SQLitening Database System JellyFish Pro Editor
http://www.planetsquires.com

James C. Fuller

I have traveled the FreeBasic path on and off over the years but lately I have to scratch my head on it's direction? You need to translate the "c" header libraries you want to use to freebasic source and then for 64bit you must use -gen gcc?
No inclusion of c/c++ include files. Also class adoption, while pretty good, is not c++ compatible.
I much prefer my bc9Basic for Windows. 32/64 con,gui,dll. I am also working on a new Linux/Windows translator with much less baggage than my previous UbxWx.

That said I have taken a short break and am now doing some experimentation with PBCC and Iup.
While I do not have a 32bit OS on any of my mix of Linux/Windows boxes, Windows 32 bit code will be around for a very long time and this combination looks very interesting.

James

Bob Houle

Quote from: Donald Montaine on January 09, 2016, 06:15:44 AM
I use Pure Basic when I need a DLL.  I am now looking for a console product for those times when I don't want to be bothered with a GUI front end.   
Why not use what you have?
PureBasic has an excellent Console Lib built right in, also users have posted many 'Include files' to enhance this you might want.  :)

PS- Check out Rosetta Code web-site for the nearly 500 PureBasic examples (many written using Console tool)
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:PureBasic

Theo Gottwald

James, maybe you can use the chance and explain a bit why you prefer your bc9 thing?

I personally will use PowerBasic for 32 bit and PureBasic for 64 bit at this time.

FreeBasic competes with the ".bas" Extension with PowerBasic so its currently not my choice :-).

James C. Fuller

Quote from: Theo Gottwald on March 01, 2016, 09:50:13 AM
James, maybe you can use the chance and explain a bit why you prefer your bc9 thing?

I personally will use PowerBasic for 32 bit and PureBasic for 64 bit at this time.

FreeBasic competes with the ".bas" Extension with PowerBasic so its currently not my choice :-).

Just a short why. I will elaborate with examples.
http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=5113.0

James

Frederick J. Harris

I still wish PowerBASIC would make it back with some kind of 64 bit future.  But in the meantime I've been enjoying working with C++.  But everything I do with regard to that just impresses me more on what Bob accomplished with PowerBASIC.  I'm heartened to here more from Tom Hanlin, who I kind of view as Bob's intellectual heir. 

My mission critical apps at work are all PowerBASIC.  I've developed C++ versions of them as backups though (Yes, it was a lot of work.  Tens of thousands of lines of code.  Took me several years.).

Real glad to see your board here Jim!