• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

HIGH DPI AWARE is that good for everything?

Started by Patrice Terrier, October 17, 2013, 12:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrice Terrier

While good for text oriented applications, it couldn't be used when you have to deal with graphic components, or when you have to display a large amount of data onto the screen.

Let's take one example:

As you can see, this skinned application uses several table views to display the data that need to be seen all at once, without using the horizontal scrolling , the size of the window itself is 1024x600 to fit the most current default screen résolutions.
If you decide to change the DPI, to make the text look larger, that for sure will ruin the whole presentation of the software.

This example shows you why HIGH DPI could be used only with applications that can take a benefit of it. On modern LCD display, the maximum resolution, is always the one that does match exactly the correct pitch, meaning one pixel = one pitch, without any interpolation, and that is the first thing to consider when doing skinned applications. :)

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Theo Gottwald

You can include a Magnifier for people who can not read the small text :-).

Of course there are special applications that have a "fixed design" that is mostly predefined by "optical aspects".

In terms of usability and in terms of reaching people with "bad eyes", applications can be designed to work in all DPI levels.
I am with you, that this advantage of usability may need a much larger screen and possibly a total re-design of the GUI.
And it may not look as good after all.

Patrice Terrier

QuoteYou can include a Magnifier for people who can not read the small text
Indeed there is already one in Windows, but the best solution is without contest to buy a larger screen, i could not work myself anymore without my dual screen (1920 x 1080, and 27" wide screen for the secondary display).

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com