• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

Larry's Virtual Table

Started by Brice Manuel, August 23, 2011, 05:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Jaime de los Hoyos on August 25, 2011, 05:59:46 PMOne of your customers is being unpleasant to other customers? Make it so that his posts can't reach the community. That's fair. But restricting access to productive resources (which are part of why your customer chose your product, after all) serves absolutely no purpose in keeping the community clean and happy as a whole. Its only purpose would be to actively punish the "disruptive" customer.
I have been online since '80.  I have never been permanently banned from any BBS, discussion list, or forum of any type.  I have also moderated/ran several of each over the years.  I have had four (not counting PB) short temporary bannings (one of which was from a discussion list in the mid 90s), but that isn't bad for 31 years. 

PB is the only place I have been repeatedly banned from the forums, repeatedly banned from peer support, repeatedly banned from accessing needed product community resources, etc.  I like PB, there are community members there I have known for around 20 years (two that were regular members of my old BBS, and one I used to work side-by-side with when I lived in California).  I have great respect for the vast majority of the community members there, those I don't are on ignore so our paths never have to cross.

About a year ago, I went down to Bob's neck of the woods for a couple of days with an old Army buddy to see another old Army buddy make his debut at the local race track in Punta Gorda during his "mid-life crisis" phase.  Around 1pm on a Friday, I drove by the PB HQ address and parked in the parking lot.  I got out of the car and was going to go knock on the door and say Howdy, let them know how much I appreciated PB, show them some of what I was working on (had my netbook with me) and offer to take the guys out for a cup of coffee, soda etc.  I helped some pregnant lady get her stroller out of her car and hold it still while she got her toddler in it and then I ended up getting back in the car as I was too afraid Bob would be ticked at me for stopping by and I didn't want to create any animosity.

Please, in all seriousness, Jaime, let it rest.  At the end of the day it isn't worth it.  It is what it is and in Bob's house, Bob is the PIC (person in charge) and you either abide by his rules or you are booted out of the house.  Agreeing or disagreeing with those rules is irrelevant as they exist either way. 

My only intent for creating this thread was to get help with one critical issue, nothing more.

Been a long day, and I am going to bed.  Peace.

Jaime de los Hoyos

Fine. Besides, I had already driven this thread off-topic long enough. Sorry for that, Larry...  :(

My feelings about the whole thing remain the same, though...

Edit: I meant: Sorry for that, Brice (the OP)

Bob Zale

Quote from: Brice Manuel on August 23, 2011, 11:07:52 PM
I can only guess what you are replying to as I have Bob on ignore on this forum.

Jim Dunn

My favorite lines from this thread:

-- "I was banned"
-- "but I love the no-kill animal shelter"
-- "and donate to local businesses"
-- "and give Christmas gifts"
-- "and any help given will remain confidential"
-- "old Army buddy make his debut at the local race track in Punta Gorda"
-- "helped some pregnant lady get her stroller out of her car and hold it still while she got her toddler in it"

Theo Gottwald

If I own a house, a garden or a place - public or not - i as the owner have the right so decide who i like or not.
This is something that has to do with the term "Property" which is protected by the ten commandements in the bible.

Property over a forum really means that the owner has the right and nobody can take it away,
to freely decide who he likes and who not.

Ifi have a forum i will also take the right to close people and opinions out if i think they are against the target of the forum,
of if i just do not like them.

Bad luck, for them. "Make your own forum and look if you get visitors."

Thats why people writing in other peoples forums should be aware that they are not in their own living room but in the living room of somebody else and behave like that.

Larry Charlton

Not jumping in on any side here :)  Brice if you want the files in the future you can get them http://www.cur-ion.net.  There's links to most of the stuff I post and it's generally more current.  I'd prefer to keep the PB site up to date, but realize that unless they provide a change in service for updating files, it's probabbly better offsite.

Theo Gottwald

Did you get my message, Larry (broken SLL in one of the archives on your side)?

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Larry Charlton on October 09, 2011, 11:49:56 PM
Not jumping in on any side here :)  Brice if you want the files in the future you can get them http://www.cur-ion.net.  There's links to most of the stuff I post and it's generally more current.  I'd prefer to keep the PB site up to date, but realize that unless they provide a change in service for updating files, it's probabbly better offsite.

Thank you Larry, this is good to know.  Thanks to Jose, and your wonderful work, I was able to get my project out in time.