• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

win32 graphics vs wxWidgets

Started by Paul Breen, April 15, 2008, 08:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Breen

I have noticed wxwidgets is getting everywhere. Python, freebasic, c++ etc. What is the down-side to using this graphics pkg versus win32? I realize this is not a wxwidget forum but there are a lot of win32 experts here. Same graphic pkg over multi-platforms and languages looks enticing. Do you lose speed or what? I have no set position but by the way it is free.

Theo Gottwald

Link:

WxWidgets

To me the Demo Aps look interesting.

While, the style looks 100% like those Dialogs we know, maybe the widgets are a easy way to get all those often used dialogs in one place?

Thats one of those things I miss a bit about PB. The ease of making Dialogs modular.

Can wXWidgets easily be used from PB?

José Roca

Can wXWidgets easily be used from PB?

Although it has been written using C++ classes, the DLL provides exported functions. Write PB declares for them and try it.

Eros Olmi

Theo,

wrong link in "Demo Aps": "ftp//" too much.

thinBasic Script Interpreter - www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community
Win7Pro 64bit - 8GB Ram - Intel i7 M620 2.67GHz - NVIDIA Quadro FX1800M 1GB

Frederick J. Harris

I seem to remember looking at that one time when I was searching for a GUI toolkit to use for Linux programming, and I found some easy sample Linux programs using wxWidgets, and the Linux exes were huge.  At that point I decided it wasn't what I wanted.  Linux exes are usually pretty small - even smaller than PB ones.

Theo Gottwald

@Eros, thanks, corrected.
The Forum-Software automatically attaches a http:\\, while the original link was already with ftp.

They say that the thing about it is, that it is cross-platform.
Its not really what I need, I'd actually prefer something new for Windows from Bob :-).