• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

PowerBASIC has been sold! (PowerBasic IS ALIVE !)

Started by Marc Giao, January 31, 2017, 10:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Lobanovsky

Brian,

Let me point out that your uncertainty regarding legal matters is not a consequence of anybody's "recent comments". It has existed, and will continue to exist, objectively and outside the context of those comments. The outcome will depend entirely on what Drake Software's real intent turns out to be in the long run, and also on how well you're prepared to protect the fruit of your work against some possible scenarios should Drake try and eliminate PluriBASIC v6.0 as a direct competitor to PB on the MS Windows platforms.

Similar concerns will have to be dealt with by everyone who's going to develop this or that sort of an all-in-one compiler or PB compatibility library for C/C++/whatever language that's going to reproduce the PB functionality under Windows, e.g. OxygenBasic or another translator besides PluriBASIC.

The better you're informed about such caveats, the stronger may your position be when and if the bad times come.
Mike
(3.6GHz Intel Core i5 w/ 16GB RAM, 2 x GTX 650Ti w/ 2GB VRAM, Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1)

Brian Alvarez

PluriBASIC 6.0 will probably be released with 64 Bit executables disabled. And will be enabled if the right circumstances come. In the mean time it will work for PowerBASIC EXE, CGI, DLL and SLL, Jar, Class, PHP, Javascript and a few more.

Brian Alvarez

By the way, Yes, my uncertainty is a direct consecuence of your comments, but not that i take it bad. Its just that i wasn't considering the points you mention. I rather have informed uncertainty than ingnorant bliss just for later regret. I believe what you mean is that the legal issue were there even if i wasn't aware of it, but my uncertainly appeared after posting here.

I will study my options later, for now i find relaxing time while working on it, so, i will (slowly) finish it even if i cant release it in the end. Maybe i can sell my hobby later to someone that can overcome the legal issues. :)

Patrice Terrier

QuotePluriBASIC 6.0 will probably be released with 64 Bit executables disabled.
On the contrary, because PB is only 32-bit, i would rather release the 64-bit version first.
Then there is no direct competition with something that doesn't exist yet (and would probably never exist).

The challenge is to offer a tool that could compete with the current compilers floating around.
On that aspect i couldn't imagine a single man being able to challenge MS or PC-Soft.
And without attracting the young programming generation, all attempts are leading to a dead end.

The only viable solution would have been to federate a group a talented programmers, each one dedicated to a specific programming aspect, to offer a real Framework alternative with easy to use pre-build solutions for
- database
- internet
- speadsheet
- word processing
- 2D and 3D graphics
- video capture and playback
- audio capture and playback
- theme support
etc.

Just like WinDev does...

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Patrice Terrier

A compiler is a totaly different animal than a specific library.

For a specific library people can always buy the source code.
And if a library becomes obsolete it is always possible to switch to another one. For years i have used LeadTools until i switched to my own graphic's.
But the problem to switch from one language to another is much more complex, because the purpose of a compiler is to build applications or third party DLL.
For a buisiness company that is a strategic choice, and they need to have a clear vision of the future.
In the case of PC-Soft, they have a pool of programmers teaching themselves what to do, and how to enhance the common framework, there is not a single Guru taking on all aspect of programming as it was the case for PB .

Sharing the source code inside the development team is a mandatory to ensure that no one could compromise the growing of the company. Zale started to work in his garage and never left it, that was the problem.

Patrice Terrier

Stefan Midegaal

QuoteFor a specific library people can always buy the source code.
then give me the Price..

Chris Chancellor

i don't think there is any legal problems with the selling of a source code converter

for example there is a C# to C++ converter by https://www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com/

and that it has been operating for decades and we don't see MS which owns C# sueing Tangible software?

just like one merchant is selling american beef  and another one is selling japanese beef , they are both beef
but with different taste and the american merchant cannot simply sue the nip for copyright infringement?
;D

Patrice Terrier

There is a big difference between buying a source code, and getting all rights on it.

In the case of Drake they bought the whole product, understand they are now the only legitimate owner of all the rights bound to the product, and they can do what ever they want with it, including trashing it.
Patrice Terrier

Patrice Terrier

Chris--

There is no issue if you go again with a compiler that is relying only on one single man, and without a strong company behind it (huge money resource to fulfill the long run).

If your boss is a wised man, he should leave the dead horse, and ask you to convert the existing code to the current standard.
Patrice Terrier

Brian Alvarez

Any suggestions for talented programmers Patrice? I know there are a lot, but, who would do it?

Patrice Terrier

There must be first a valid business plan.
Asking the people to join just for glory, will never succeed in the long run.
Hence, finding talented programers is just (the easiest) part of the problem.
Good will is not enough, except for the hobbyist market, but then no way to make a leaving from it, for something that is very time consuming.
Sincerely i couldn't figure how a new compiler would have a chance of success in front of the existing RAD tools.

Patrice Terrier

Brian Alvarez

Well, i could redefine RAD, for starters. Its a mess to setup MSVC, first of, a huge download, a long install, once it is installed i found lots of issues. Principally the incapacity to solve an issue because of it not being clear.

A compiler that is smaller, lighter and solves all that issues would be RADder than RAD. This could attract many users, specially the ones who do not look for super low level control... Hmm even the ones that do, now that i think of it.

Patrice Terrier

Brian

Are we speaking of professional applications, with hundreds of window and all the bells and whistles needed by modern applications and running on local or the internet network?

I never seen such a project written in PB.

Patrice Terrier