• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

Future of powerbasic

Started by Sutthisak Phongthanapanic, September 01, 2013, 12:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrice Terrier

Tom--

What about facts, and a clear road map, instead of just vapor words again and again?

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Marc Giao

Please do elaborate on the following:

Quote from: Tom Hanlin on December 13, 2013, 02:38:53 AM
I don't think anyone has the incentives available.

Theo Gottwald

Besides all the good, Bob never used the chances that incorporating user contributions would have given to PowerBasic. That was possibly one of his biggest mistakes.
If Tom is going to make a significant change about this, it could be a way to go.

Tom Hanlin

I can't tell you the future. I don't know what it will be. I am trying to make it smooth and clear but, it's liable to be a month before there is an announcement.

My preference? I see three products about ready to go. I would like, actually, to release all of the source code, at a reasonable price. But I am not in charge of marketing and this may be a silly dream. It's a notion. Might happen. I have unreasonable clout, at the moment, which may not persist.

Tom Hanlin

Quote from: Theo Gottwald on December 13, 2013, 09:14:27 PM
Besides all the good, Bob never used the chances that incorporating user contributions would have given to PowerBasic. That was possibly one of his biggest mistakes.
If Tom is going to make a significant change about this, it could be a way to go.

I'd go so far as to state that this is completely mistaken. Bob wasn't always good at outreach. I was. I started out as a PowerBASIC tools vendor, and it was just an offhand thing, my real market was Microsoft BASICs. Bob screwed me around more than once in his redesigns of the internal code, and actually stole my ideas to improve his own product. He incorporated them directly into the compiler. I don't bear him much resentment for it but I don't forget it, either.

But, as an outside tools vendor, I always knew what other vendors would want, and I built them directly into the IDE. You have a tool? The IDE will load your help system for you. It will do its very best to make your tool feel comfortable and at home. It's designed to accommodate.

Theo Gottwald

Tom, then who is in Power?
Are you going to save PB?
Can you if you are not "in Power"?
I can say that i like your progressive attitude. But a detailed plan will also be needed.
As said, i believe that there are people willing to help, if there are clear plans, that are honest and believable.
Such can only be done by somebody who has a authority on the PB leftover code  etc.

Patrice Terrier

Theo

{Il n'est pire sourd que celui qui ne veut pas entendre.}
(There are none so deaf as those who will not hear.)

Why don't you consider the facts. You should stop dreaming and rely on yourself to handle your programming destiny.

Time is going fast, and those waiting for the tide to come back are dying slowly on the shore, do you think it is another result of the climate change, do you?

There are plainty of other programming tools around, some are more BASIC oriented, but all in one the choice for SDK programmers should be obvious, and the transition not that hard, especially because, on this forum, you could get the help from those who already jumped in.

Patrice Terrier

Theo Gottwald

Patrice, i am not waiting for the tide, but if she comes it will be ok.
If it doesn't happen it will also be Ok.

Brice Manuel

Theo:  I agree with Patrice.  The only difference is I would not recommend VC++ to people.  The reality is, the majority of posts on the official forums are no longer PowerBASIC related.  The majority of posts here are no longer PowerBASIC related.  Everybody has moved on.  It really doesn't matter what PB Inc. does at this point. 

I like PB and I was writing an IDE in it for a new project of mine.  Unfortunately, my plans have been shot to hell as my laptop was stolen and it was my development machine.  I do not even have access to a Windows machine now.  Right now, I am stuck getting online with an archaic Eee PC 4G Surf.  So, my development and all plans are at a complete standstill until I can afford to get a new system.  What really sucks, is this has destroyed some major plans for my future.

Patrice Terrier

Backup; BAckup; BACkup; BACKup; BACKUp; BACKUP...

and put a safe copy in a hidden place.

I never leave the house, without at least an USB key in the pocket, i learned this the hard way too.  :-X

Patrice Terrier

Brice Manuel

Everything is backed up fine and nothing is lost in that aspect.  I just can't afford to replace the stolen laptop at this time.

Theo Gottwald

Then why not look in the PB Forum in "Consultants wanted?".
Get a project and tell them you need a computer.
There should be enough work there for somebody with programming Skills.

Brice Manuel

QuoteThen why not look in the PB Forum in "Consultants wanted?".
I am not a member of the PB forums, so I can't make a "looking for work" post there.  Given the small handful of users still using the forum, it would fall on blind eyes.  You do seem to be the eternal optimist about PB, but it seems everybody but you and a very small handful of others have moved on.  Most simply can't afford to wait this out.  It is okay to "let go", Theo.  It doesn't mean you hate PB if you move on.

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Tom Hanlin on December 14, 2013, 07:27:23 AMIt's designed to accommodate.
I just wish it was designed to edit code.  Once you hit around 52,000 lines of code, the IDE goes bunnyfutters and it can't handle anymore and you can actually lose some code due to the IDE not being able to handle anything remotely large (or save it or open it).  Another major shortcoming is the syntax coloring is made useless because you can't set the entire background to be a specific color and get rid of the white that is so hard on the eyes.  You can only set the background color for specific things.

Jon Eskdale

I Don't understand why you would have 52000 lines of code in the same file without using include files - or is it a problem including the include files.  Although I don't really see why anyone would use the standard IDE when there are better options such as the Free and excellent CSED by Jose and the FireFly and Phoenix 3 environments.