• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

ZIP Repar (to fix the corrupted ZIP files downloaded from this forum)

Started by Patrice Terrier, August 06, 2011, 05:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrice Terrier

Here is a small ZIP repar (repair) utility that should fix parts of the corrupted ZIP files downloaded from this new forum.

Added:
Not perfect, thus i am checking another one.

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Petr Schreiber

Hi Patrice,

as I wrote in other thread - the problem seems be in fact the forum software converts CRLF to LF in the attachements. I am sure this situation is fixable by server/forum software settings tuning.

Petr
AMD Sempron 3400+ | 1GB RAM @ 533MHz | GeForce 6200 / GeForce 9500GT | 32bit Windows XP SP3

psch.thinbasic.com

José Roca

Quote from: Petr Schreiber on August 06, 2011, 09:04:41 PM
Hi Patrice,

as I wrote in other thread - the problem seems be in fact the forum software converts CRLF to LF in the attachements. I am sure this situation is fixable by server/forum software settings tuning.

Petr

With some files and pictures only, and not with the others?

José Roca

I think that I have found the guilty. I'm using FileZilla as the FTP client, and it uses the option "Treat files without extension as ASCII file" by default.

See: http://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=19393

So the corruption seems to have happened for having used FileZilla with that option checked (without knowing it) to save and restore the attachments.

What a life! You lose many hours doing backups only to lose everything when you need to restore.

Edwin Knoppert

It's so easy to use Windows Explorer, no fuzz with tools and settings.
It even maintains folder hierarchy (caching of the folder you have been)

José Roca

I have done some tests and FileZilla is definitely the guilty. It works fine with the "Treat files without extension as ASCII file" unchecked, but corrupts the attachments by changing carriage returns to linefeeds if is checked. Why this option, that I didn't even know existed, is the default is beyond me. So many hours wasted doing backups to be safe and I was unconsciously digging my grave. I'm very sorry for Patrice. Hope that his stuff can be recovered.

Thanks to Petr that has investigated the problem. This has allowed me to google and find the relevant FileZilla forum thread. Otherwise, I will have continued doing corrupted backups.

Theo Gottwald

If Filezilla does run wild and change characters ... can't it be reversed in some way?
Is there no hint in the filezilla forum?

José Roca

No, it can't. Anyway, my only concern are Patrice's files. Mine are going to be deprecated and updated to PB10 and the new headers.

Theo Gottwald

I think you are right. Let's start new and from now make proper backups.
I guess that you have not been the only person running into this filezilla trap.