• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

PB 10 SLL Question

Started by Brice Manuel, February 21, 2011, 08:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brice Manuel

My apologies if I did not start this thread in the proper forum.

I have been following the discussions on the official forum about PB 10.  I have a question that I was hoping somebody could answer for me.  With compiling an EXE or a DLL with PB, we have numerous options for including "media" (icons, graphics, etc.) into the compiled EXE/DLL.  When compiling to a SLL what would be the ideal method for including necessary icons/graphics into the SLL?

I realize PB 10 has not been released yet, and I know that beta testers are severely limited to what can be discussed.  However, I am hoping somebody might have an answer and I do not think the question is overly intrusive.

Thank you in advance.

José Roca

An SLL can't have resources. Only EXEs and DLLs can have a resource (and only one) file attached. An SLL is just a bunch of pre-compiled code that later is linked to an EXE or a DLL.

Brice Manuel

Quote from: José Roca on February 21, 2011, 09:36:08 PM
An SLL can't have resources. Only EXEs and DLLs can have a resource (and only one) file attached. An SLL is just a bunch of pre-compiled code that later is linked to an EXE or a DLL.

So that would mean the ideal way to include graphics in a SLL would be to convert them to data statements?

José Roca

I don't have expertise with SLLs yet. The limitation of one resource file for EXE or DLL is a Windows limitation. One way is to provide the graphics and the user can include them in the resource file of his EXE or DLL.

Brice Manuel

Sounds like it should not be an issue as long as everything is in code form.  I have been asked to provide a SLL version of a DLL which two PBers are using.  Since I am working on a small update, I want to make sure what I am doing will be as "SLL-friendly" as possible :)

Theo Gottwald

QuoteSo that would mean the ideal way to include graphics in a SLL would be to convert them to data statements?

If you read a bit in the PB Forum, you will find some additional news from PB 10, for example ASMDATA.
This is the prefered METHOD in PB 10 for Data that should be hold inside an SLL as i see it.

It also does not have the limitations the DATA/READ statements had.

Patrice Terrier

The best way is to include them as RCDATA, example:
PROGRAM ICON ZAP.ICO
REDMASK RCDATA DISCARDABLE REDMASK.GIF
ZMAGIC  RCDATA DISCARDABLE ZMAGIE.GIF
STAR    CURSOR STAR.CUR

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Theo Gottwald

QuoteThe best way is to include them as RCDATA, example:

In an SLL ?

Patrice Terrier

I think i would keep using the standard DLL resource model, to link them with all the languages i am using.
Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Theo Gottwald on February 26, 2011, 10:22:42 AM
If you read a bit in the PB Forum, you will find some additional news from PB 10, for example ASMDATA.
This is the prefered METHOD in PB 10 for Data that should be hold inside an SLL as i see it.

It also does not have the limitations the DATA/READ statements had.

Thank you, Theo.  I no longer have a membership at those forums and do not read them as much as I used to.  This is something I definitely missed.  I will read up on it.