• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

Konstruct Code Editor - Freeware

Started by Daren Oliver, January 17, 2011, 11:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petr Schreiber

Thanks for the info Daren,

you are right, I might be not used to the concept yet.

Your concept for relative paths converted to full for better clarity is nice, I thought full paths are "hardwired", but this way it is ok.
I will try to keep your advices in mind for future, thanks a lot!

Petr
AMD Sempron 3400+ | 1GB RAM @ 533MHz | GeForce 6200 / GeForce 9500GT | 32bit Windows XP SP3

psch.thinbasic.com

Bob Houle

Hi Daren,

While I love this editor and it is rock steady... reasons that keep me from using it for "everything".

#1 - PBForms (I don't think that there's much you can do here)

#2 - small code snippets on the forum.

It's nice to grab the code, and test it out without having to start a new project, etc.

Perhaps you could have a new topic on the left side of the screen (under Start Menu) called: "Open Editor" that simply opens the editor, supplies a blank screen and allows you to compile a sample, much like the PB editor does.

While it 'bypasses' the prime reason I like to use KONSTRUCT.. a quicky solution is sometimes better. {grin}

--Bob

José Roca

It's nice to grab the code, and test it out without having to start a new project, etc.

It's even nicer to test it without having to save it to a file :)

Bob Houle

:D
Exactly!

I have that in another editor.

Ctrl-C    'grab the code
Ctrl-V    'paste the code
F5         'execute the sample

Done!

If it's any good I save the code (with proper accreditation, of course)  :)

-Bob

--Bob

José Roca

Editors are a highly personal choice. A feature that is life saving for you, its worthless for another. It is good to have many available choices, so Konstruct is very welcomed.

Currently, I'm using CSED (Customized SED), a new editor that I began to write mainly to test the new features of the upcoming compilers and my new headers for them. It is not a replacement for SED, but a personal editor in which I have removed anything I don't use and added some features useful to me. The code is much cleaner (just one global variable, a reference to an instance of the main class) and supports unicode via UTF-8 encoding. For projects, I'm using a modified version of Lynx. I will make the code available just in case somebody wants to use it as a basis to write his own customized editor.

Bob Houle

Always interested in seeing other editors... like you say: They are quite personal... everybody has an opinion on what's good.

I like the concept of KONSTRUCT because it integrates project coding so smoothly and naturally.

Just the thought of creating anew folder, locating scattered files, creating a sub-folder for the release, etc can be daunting.

--Bob

Daren Oliver

Bob,

Quote#1 - PBForms (I don't think that there's much you can do here)

I dont own PBForms so I've no idea how I would integrate it if thats at all possible.

Quote#2 - small code snippets on the forum.

I'll probably add a switch that disables the automatic initialization. This will enable you to simply copy, paste and compile code snippets without the problem of metastatements clashing.

You will still have to create a new project but I cant see that being too much of an inconvienience considering you're not forced to name it and it will automatically clean up should you choose not to keep the code.

Daren Oliver

Minor update added.

Quote-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version 1.2.2.0 - Mar 7 2011
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#Files modified from previous update:
Konstruct.exe

---------

#Feature Added.
Right click Menu on Project node in treeview

---------

#Feature Added.
Right click Menu on Editor tabs

---------

#Feature Added.
Initialization switches to enable\disable automatic code generation for
Include file paths.

---------

#Feature Added.
Menu item. 'Open file' using the currently selected text as the file name.
eg. Right click when "Win32API.inc" is selected.

---------
#Bug Fix.
Find using F3 didn't scroll correctly if a match was found in a collapsed procedure.

---------

Brice Manuel

This might possibly be the best PB-specific IDE out there.  You have done a really good job with it!

I only have one (and only one) complaint about this great IDE, unfortunately, it is one that keeps me from using it.  You can't choose custom colors for syntax coloring, you can only choose from a predefined list.  It is not as limiting as JellyFish in the listed colors, but it is still limiting enough that I can't use the coloring scheme I want to and hence would not use this IDE.  Since this IDE was made for your own use and you were nice enough to share it with others, please do not take this as a feature request, as it is not.

Petr Schreiber

Hi Daren,

thank you very much for new release, I like it very much.
I also agree it is nice to have possibility of choice.

Petr
AMD Sempron 3400+ | 1GB RAM @ 533MHz | GeForce 6200 / GeForce 9500GT | 32bit Windows XP SP3

psch.thinbasic.com

Daren Oliver

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I'll add customs colors to the ToDo list, its not an unreasonable request.

Denis Gura

Nice work Daren.

What about:

Compare 2 sources of code:

1) set the 1. position in the source
2) set the 2. position in the source (could be another file in project)
3) start compare pressing Fx
4) find the first difference
(inteligent spaces & tabs & CrLf & comments etc. are ignored)
set up in 1.windows position to see
set up in 2.windows position to see
mark color difference
5) stop looking with shift+Fx

maybe usefull.

Daren Oliver

Thanks Denis.

It's a good idea but that sort of addition is a little way down the road for me just yet. I'm currently looking to enhance\refine core functionality with the little spare time I have. That said, all suggestions are welcome so if you have any other ideas then please post.

Daren

José Roca

There are already free tools to compare file contents.

A very good one, that I use to update the Windows API Headers, to find the differences between the latest SDK and the previous one used, is WinMerge:

http://winmerge.org/

If you install the Windows SDK, then you can also use WinDiff.

Daren Oliver

Can anyone tell me if PB Forms is invoked by passing the name of a file in the commandline?
I was wondering if it was simply a case of each time the file was saved in either app, you would get the usual 'File modified, reload, blah, blah' message in the other app?

If both are true, would someone be kind enough to post the code for a basic dialog. No Buttons or anything, just the minimum code generated by PB Forms.

Thanks.