• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

Digital mars cd

Started by Paul Breen, January 12, 2010, 04:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Breen

Mr Harris:
Digital mars offers a c and c++ development cd for 42$ that seems old fashioned, but what we are doing is old fashioned.
http://www.digitalmars.com/shop.html
Has anyone tried this? You can get the compiler for free, it is the development gui-ide that is $
Seems to be a simple approach, compared to the large ide packages.
Source code is included.
No registry changes, or setup, just load and run (that is what they say)
thaks,
Paul Breen

Frederick J. Harris

I know the CodeBlocks editor which is what I do most of my fooling around with in C++ has a template for D.  I never knew much about it but just now checked Wikipedia on it.  Have you used it?  Is it the next big coming language?  I see there are a few published books on it.  I don't believe the D compiler was setup with CodeBlocks, or was it??? 

If I had time to play around with other languages than C++ and PowerBASIC I think I'd like to learn to use C++/CLI or .NET a little.  Here a little while ago I got a C++/CLI book and compiled a few little starter programs.  I thought it was pretty neat that one could so easily call any of the 'unmanaged' C/C++ standard functions, or ones own functions, and also mix in the .NET framework stuff.  But then PInvoke from .NET isn't too hard either.

Paul Breen

It is funny how subjects digress. . .I was thinking of the c++ compiler and tools on this cd,  not the d compiler. There is, included, win32 pkg,
mfc and decompilers for object code etc. This would be to compile the examples of c++ code you have listed here. Mr Bright wrote the c++
compiler and also offers the source code for it.

But you thought I was referrring to D. I have tried it and it is very attractive. I got the SlickEdit IDE for it and it works great. I don't have the time to spend on it and there is all this school work I am supposed to be doing.  Here is some very interesting coments on D.
http://www.ddj.com/hpc-high-performance-computing/217801225
It is an interview at Dr Dobbs journal. Andrei Alexandrescu, a brilliant guy in the c++ world, is writing a book on D. I have pre ordered it
at amazon. his site is http://erdani.com/
goota go
PB

Frederick J. Harris

It is funny how subjects digress. .

It was my fault!  Somehow I got fixated on D from the link you gave.  Sorry about that.

Actually, before I'd go buying that IDE I ought to take a little time to actually set up that Sun Javabeans thing.  When I get time I think I'll revisit that.  The IDE ran for me and looked really nice; I just didn't want to sink more time into fooling around with the compiler as I'm somewhat busy right now. 

All those C/C++ programs I posted should work with most any C/C++ compiler.  I tested all of them with Dev-Cpp and CodeBlocks (which are free) and some of them with VC6 and VC9 (Visual Studio 2008 Pro). 

Paul Breen

I just installed the new netbeans 6.8 with c++ plugins and the whole enchalada to run. I am at a
computer lab at school and started from scratch with a new everything.

did the simple sample project to confirm compiler installation. I was kind of shocked when it compiled and
ran.
It is  not too bad if you do not get diverted by a couple of tricky dialogs. Here goes.
The step numbers that I mention are from this page:
1) http://netbeans.org/community/releases/68/cpp-setup-instructions.html#compilers_windows

click on
http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=2435&filename=MinGW-5.1.4.exe&a=57946486

Do not click yes on the updated installer, it has problems. The old one works fine.
click on g++ like step number five on the first page tells you to. do not choose the make here.
I loaded objective c for fun.

files will download and install, use the default location to check it out, I would move it later if you must.
I went with default locations for everything.

at number 11, use the defaults and let 'er rip. This is actually pretty easy.

at number 14, I used winRAR, you will need that or some other program to unpack the debugger.
I did just what they said, unpacked to c:\mingw\bin and clicked yes to overwrite any files during the unpack

In netbeans, make sure you have the c++ plugin. if not, use the plugin tool in the \Tools menu (duh!) and get that plugin. you have to reboot netbeans, but they tell you that anyway.

you can set the path with a command line, if you use the settings dialog,(like the instructions say) it wont work until you reboot.
(that tricked me last time)

Fred, it all went pretty easy, I can't recommend one compiler over another for netbeans because I have not done
anything complicated.  I think it took just as long to type this as it did to download everything and get it going. Fifteen minutes, at the most.

I think you are going to like netbeans ide.  I had less trouble with this than the powerbasic patch download.

later,
Paul