• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

PB10

Started by Peter Weis, March 18, 2011, 09:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Weis

Hi it's been quiet for PowerBASIC 10! It does nothing more looks with PowerBASIC 10 almost as you would for PowerBASIC 4.0 for DOS PowerBASIC for Linux and first came the announcement and then comb no more!

Regards Peter

Chris Boss

As a beta tester for PB 10 I can tell you there are a lot of new features which will make it worth the upgrade.

As far as releasing it, basicly the product is finished (No new features now), but Beta testing continues to make sure there are no "quirks" in it.

Remember, that there are a lot of different versions of Windows it needs to be tested on and different environments (ie. standalone PC's, networked PC's)
so it is best to make sure it has no issues with different situations.

There are so many different programming styles with Powerbasic (ie. DDT, SDK, inline assembler, EZGUI, etc.) and what works in one situation may have issues in another.
There are a lot of third party tools used by PB'ers as well and some minor issues may appear there.

The compiler has so many new ways of coding (options via compiler directives) that the possibilities are almost endless, so it is only reasonable to play it safe and make sure
that even the "smallest" issue reported by a beta tester be dealt with before shipping.

To be truthful, PowerBasic has so many different ways you can code now, that compared to other languages there is a lot more to test, IMO.

The API includes have gone through a major rewrite, so there are minor issues that may come up, which it is best to find out before PB 10 is released.

The point is, that any wait for releasing PB 10 is being done to make sure that when it is released, there are few if any issues for customers.

Being in the process of getting close to releasing a major new version of a product myself (EZGUI 5.0), I fully understand all the last minute "running around" trying to get it out the door with as many perfectly working new features as possible. There are always last minute choices to make (is it good enough or does it need just a little more tweaking ?).

No software product (by anyone) is ever absolutely 100% perfect when it is officially released, so this is par for the course.

Those who preordered PB 10, did so because they want to be the first to get it when it is finally released.
When PB 10 is finally officially released and it starts shipping, there will be a big backlong on orders, so me personally I don't want to have to wait a single minute.

The new PB 10 IDE is really great and worth the wait.

The new SLL (Static Libraries) feature will open up all sorts of new doors for third party developers.

Steve Hutchesson

Peter,

You can be sure its up and going, just downloaded and tested BETA 83. Its a large upgrade with many complex issues but some massive amount of work has already been done and the release is not that far off. I am sure you would agree that the final attention to detail is important so that customers get a very reliable compiler that is robust under many different circumstances.

Regards,

hutch at movsd dot com

Patrice Terrier

QuoteTo be truthful, PowerBasic has so many different ways you can code now, that compared to other languages there is a lot more to test, IMO.
I can't see how these different ways could affect SDK coders?

QuoteThe new SLL (Static Libraries) feature will open up all sorts of new doors for third party developers.
I would rather say "for third party developers working strictly on the PB's niche market", the others would still have to resort on standard DLL.

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Peter Weis on March 18, 2011, 09:02:58 PMPowerBASIC for Linux and first came the announcement and then comb no more!

I am not a beta tester, but I am certain that PB 10 will be released before PB Linux.

Jim Dunn

Quote from: Steve Hutchesson on March 19, 2011, 05:06:47 AMjust downloaded and tested BETA 83

So Steve, would you say that this beta has been bigger than any other?

José Roca

More difficult technically.

Theo Gottwald

PB is out.
My recommendation: Go and get it!