• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

struggling with VISTA 64-bit

Started by Patrice Terrier, January 05, 2009, 07:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eros Olmi

Hey Patrice I perfectly know and I know Vista (in its all versions) is a great OS.
Do not look at the problem from the key hole. Problem is much bigger than 64 bit or compatibility.

You need to think to user perceptions and reactions. And when user perceptions is negative (for whatever reasons), companies stay at the window looking and not upgrading. Companies do not have time to solve OS problems, it is already hard to lose time to solve application problems.

And if companies do not install the latest MS OS, than MS has problems! And if companies do not install Vista that also demands a new quite powerful hardware that there will not be so much 64bit CPU

Why MS had to develop a new Vista Clone? Just to fight user perception and give the impression it is another OS following user requests. Same content different box.

To me Vista is dead. But this is not so negative because it will give time to have a great demand of latest CPU.
thinBasic Script Interpreter - www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community
Win7Pro 64bit - 8GB Ram - Intel i7 M620 2.67GHz - NVIDIA Quadro FX1800M 1GB

Patrice Terrier

Eros,

QuoteDo not look at the problem from the key hole
I don't think i am looking the problem from the key hole (look at my previous answer).

We don't have all the same needs and targets, that is a fact.

I was not hable myself to ignore VISTA, and i had no choice, when you are working in the programming industry you must follow the standard and use the same tools than your customers, easy to understand, no?

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Eros Olmi

Yes easy to understand but it is just an isle: your customers.
Vista is not "the standard" and 64 bits are not "the standard".
They are an "avantguard" of something that the rest of the world will follow but not now and not now that economy is shrinking.
I'm sure you will find many situations where you need 64 bit but on the whole, that situations will remain very insignificant and only significant in a specific area: their specific areas.

Anyhow, I'm 100% sure you are on the right side.
thinBasic Script Interpreter - www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community
Win7Pro 64bit - 8GB Ram - Intel i7 M620 2.67GHz - NVIDIA Quadro FX1800M 1GB

Patrice Terrier

Eros,

QuoteYes easy to understand but it is just an isle: your customers.

My customers are making my living, that says all  :)

Patrice Terrier

Patrice Terrier

Eros

QuoteI'm sure you will find many situations where you need 64 bit but on the whole.

I had no choice, my new HP HDX 18 laptop, comes with it pre-installed because the processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26 Ghz) that is a 64-bit processor with 4 Gb ram.

My sister just bought a TOSHIBA QOSMIO that was also provided with the same 64-bit processor and 64-bit VISTA.

And the same for my son that bought a 16 inches HP notebook, one month ago.

And you know what, they are using them to surf on the Internet, download and play AVI/DivX movies, play audio, store and edit photography, watch/record TNT TV, type their letters and check their bank acount with the Open Office suite, and that's all!

Patrice Terrier