• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

If you are into learning, I think you will find this interesting

Started by Kent Sarikaya, October 24, 2007, 04:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent Sarikaya

I had a very interesting day today. Every Tuesday I take my Dad to a medical meeting, he is retired but still likes to keep up to date with things. Usually I listen to vidcasts or podcasts stored on my cell phone about technology while I wait for him. I found out last week that the Hospital has free wireless access all through out the hospital, so today I took my notebook.

Anyways, I hooked up to the net and started searching for new learning material and stumbled upon this incredible site. There are many places to go to from this site.
Today I concentrated on the computer science courses being offered at The University of California Berkeley. I think if you are into learning about computers, programming, technology and  didn't take computer science courses while at school you will enjoy this as much as I am.

The computer science classes are abbreviated with cs. They cover operating systems, various programming languages, well everything you can think about. If you don't watch any of those, I would still highly recommend the two video taped lectures by Alan Kay. I saw lots of things I had not seen and of course some that I had, but it is so fascinating and really inspirational. I really recommend both of these. It is worth everyone's time to watch these 2 lectures, he covers so much in a very logical way. Building on a foundation of history and progressing on by bringing together many sciences into a new understanding of learning and interfacing. If you have kids, grandkids or any other kids in your life I think you will find this interesting too.

First the lectures from Alan Kay:
http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details.php?seriesid=1906978270
Just scroll down the list to the 2 lectures from Alan Kay. The first icon is the video cast and what I recommend. You can view it full screen.

This is the site where I came upon one of the links that brought me to Berkeley.
http://freescienceonline.blogspot.com/2006/06/free-computer-science-video-lecture_24.html

MikeTrader

Great link Thanks.
Now I just have to figure out what to install to watch it!
THe only streaming video I watch has a Media Player option so I will have top research this...

Theo Gottwald

Charles Pegge

A superb lecture by Alan Kay, bringing psychology and computer science together. Much to think about. (Maths is clearly not being taught correctly in school.)

I'm going to dip into the other lectures too, particularly on Functional programming. Thanks Kent!

Charles Pegge

Well, after watching a few of the other lectures, unfortunately they do not compare with the Alan Kay lecture so I was left feeling rather glum. But relieved I did not study computer science. There seems to be a serious disconnect between academic computing and the rest of the world along with the things we do here. :)

Kent Sarikaya

Mike, many of the academic site use real player for their streaming video. It is a free download. If a university has a special format, like Washington University's Computer Science videos, they have a free download to view their format. Hope it helps.

Glad you liked them Theo, happy watching and learning.

Charles, It is funny you captured my sentiments exactly. Alan Kay is just and was way ahead of his times along with his colleagues. I am so pumped up with enthusiasm when I watch his lectures. But I agree, many of the other lecturers are let downs. They seem to be more interested in keeping to a time schedule to get through talking points than to teach. I guess it was like this when I was in school too. I would say back then maybe 1/4 of the teachers where good teachers and seemed to care about teaching. The other 3/4 it was like they had to teach so they can also do their research type attitude. And out of the 1/4 that were good teachers only about 2 were inspirational type teachers. It seems those percentages haven't changed.