• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

Have your XP updated ...

Started by Theo Gottwald, May 27, 2014, 03:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Mike Stefanik on June 03, 2014, 08:38:53 PM
That said, I'll continue to use Windows 7 SP1 as my primary development system for now. I'm waiting to see what 8.1U2 looks like this fall, and then I'll decide whether to make the move then or just wait for Windows 9 next year.

Windows 7 will be the new XP and will be around for ages.  My only dislikes with 7 were the start menu (but it was easy to restore the XP start menu) and the changes to the audio portions of Windows and DX, which made a lot of pro hardware and software incompatible that relied on DX's support of hardware buffers.  Otherwise a rock solid system that never crashed on me.  I actually miss Windows 7.

Mike Stefanik

According to an article posted on Neowin, it looks like Microsoft has decided to not include the new start menu that they demoed at the BUILD conference a few months ago. Originally they hinted it would be part of the next Windows 8.1 update. Now they're saying it will be part of "Threshold" (Windows 9), along with the ability to run metro apps on the desktop.
Mike Stefanik
sockettools.com

Brice Manuel

MS announced that last month.  A major mistake as those unhappy will look elsewhere and not wait until next year.  MS also announced last month that Windows 9 may not be released in April and may get pushed back until later in the year.

Carlo Pagani

Just install Classic Shell http://www.classicshell.net/ and you have all you need for a start menu.