• Welcome to Powerbasic Museum 2020-B.

News:

Forum in repository mode. No new members allowed.

Main Menu

Is the end of legacy compilers coming?

Started by Edwin Knoppert, May 10, 2014, 02:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edwin Knoppert

I have nothing to do at this moment so i was visiting some old places like bcx and lcc and such.
I wonder due to the changes in the last years regarding UI like Windows metro or cloud based applications and so on if compilers like PowerBASIC, BCX, PureBasic to name a few see their user-base getting less?

Some projects have been taken over to sourceforge projects but they appear have an activity date of before 2012 or worse.
At my work it is cloud computing via browser only nowadays.
A lot of effort is put into javascript techniques like knock-out and angular (in our case on asp.net (mvc/rest)).

I have the feeling much of the older programmers we knew have left or just visit so now and then, i do..
But i do no longer program using PowerBASIC, only for hobby.
Even on this board is much more quiet then before (... the pb hassle begun).

This may be the moment to some of us who still use legacy techniques and wonder where the others went? :)

José Roca

I have been losing interest in programming quite fast. I have restarted my old passion for movie research and I have began to collaborate in a French encyclopedia about French films from 1929-1979.

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Edwin Knoppert on May 10, 2014, 02:50:50 PMPureBasic to name a few see their user-base getting less?

PureBasic routinely sees new users coming in.  It also adapts with the times and keeps current, which is why it is still going strong after so many years.  Fred has also brought out Spider to target the mobile platforms.  My only complaint with PureBasic is I do not like any of the currently available GUI designers.  The only one I liked and could wrap my head around was PBDev. 

I have said for years, that in order for a programming language to be successful, it needs to adapt with the times, it needs to support 64-bit and it needs to be cross-platform.  The languages that don't do this are dying a slow and miserable death that they have earned and deserve.  You can't strive for mediocrity and then complain once you achieve it.

Edwin Knoppert

I am exploring other things to work on, so far i have no idea.
Programming at home is virtually over + i need to find me a new job, not sure what yet..
Oops.. there is a crisis outside, makes things worse isn't?

We'll see :)

Frederick J. Harris

Nothing's really changed for me.  I'm still working on and perfecting the things I started working on 30 - 35 years ago.  I've almost got it perfected! ;D  Another couple years ought to do it! :)

I don't know that I'm much interested in taking on whatever comes after Windows 7.  Basically, I just do Windows apps.  I hate cell phones.  So I don't fool with them.  I used to write a lot of handheld stuff in DOS and Windows CE.  But that's nearly over.  My Windows CE code I could basically port to desktop\laptop\tablet PCs.  No interest in Android. 

They say Progress Rides A Herse.